Land Stewardship Fellows FAQs

If you have questions about the fellowship beyond what is covered here, contact Carl Cotter at gro.d1508680303lopoe1508680303lodla1508680303@rett1508680303ocdc1508680303.

What is the work schedule for the land stewardship fellows?

The stewardship crew normally works Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. However, depending on our activities and the season, the daily schedule will shift occasionally.

In some seasons, we may also put in longer days in exchange for time off later. This usually happens during the prescribed burning season when the stewardship staff is on call to work when the weather is appropriate. Fellows receive time off later in the season to compensate for the extra hours spent during the burn season.

Will I have to work weekends?

Weekend work is occasionally required, usually due to an all-staff activity or training. However, we rarely work a weekend to finish a task started during the week. If you’re expected to work a weekend, you’ll know several weeks in advance and your schedule will be adjusted accordingly.

Are fellowships offered every year?

Yes, depending on the year there may be two to three positions available.

Do you hire international applicants?

At this time, we do not hire international applicants.

How much time should I expect to be in the field?

As a fellow, you’ll spend about 85% of your time in the field controlling invasive species, conducting prescribed burns, collecting seeds for prairie restorations, doing timber stand improvements, and carrying out other activities. The other 15% of your time will be spent writing reports about field activities, and attending trainings or other professional development activities.

What is the most challenging aspect of the fellowship?

This is a very physically demanding job that requires work under a variety of conditions, including snow, rain, heat – and, yes, you will be exposed to ticks and mosquitoes. But the fellowship is very rewarding. A real sense of camaraderie develops within the stewardship crew, making even the most challenging tasks fun and educational.

How and when do I apply?

This program seeks people with a strong desire to learn about conservation and land management. Applicants should have a four-year degree in a natural resources-related field and some previous field experience.

Successful applicants must commit to the full nine-month term (February through mid-November).

We typically hire two to three nine-month fellows each year. The fellowship announcement is posted in mid- to late November to hire for the following February. Check the employment section of our website and various conservation job boards (e.g., Society for Conservation Biology) for the announcement, along with a list of required application materials.

What if I’m still an undergraduate?

If you are currently a student, we also offer 6- to 12-week “seasonal fellowships” starting in late May through late August. Check the employment section of our website in early spring for the position announcement.