This development leader will work collaboratively with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to create a comprehensive fund development plan which will increase revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization. With a donor base of over 3,000 supporters, this position will be responsible for overseeing a strategically-focused, relationship-building approach to fundraising focusing on major gifts and planned giving. The development leader will manage a portfolio of approximately 100+ major and prospective donors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Organizational Leadership (10%)
- Foster a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Work collaboratively with staff across the organization to develop consistent messaging and build strategic, productive relationships with donors.
- As part of the executive leadership team, coordinate development goals that support organization-wide initiatives.
- Develop regular progress reports, budgets, contributions and expenditures related to fundraising and the management of the fund development program activities.
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities including major donor identification, qualification, and engagement to ensure strategic plans and critical fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Track performance of the development program. Monitor and evaluate key fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved.
- Create and implement stewardship strategies for donor retention with particular emphasis on major donors.
- In partnership with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator, develop a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization.
- Utilize fundraising database to track and record donor interactions and program activity, maintain lists, perform queries, generate reports and track performance.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator in creation of annual giving strategies including but not limited to donor appeals and new member acquisitions.
- Work with foundation program staff to understand and articulate programming accomplishments for donor communications.
- Identify, qualify, engage and strategically ask corporate, community and individual prospective donors to support the organization’s fundraising priorities.
- Support the Executive Director in major donor relationship building activities, board development, and other activities that contribute to raising additional resources for the foundation.
- Maintain and further develop ongoing relationships with donors and key volunteers.
- Interface with the foundation Board to identify and engage current and prospective major donors.
- Engage board members and other volunteers for special fund development projects using established relationship management and volunteer engagement practices.
- Plan and lead interactions with members and donors to build relationships and determine opportunities to strengthen support.
- University degree
- Relevant certification or training such as Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) designation
- 5+ years of experience in fund development or relevant field
- Experience building relationships with high net worth individuals
- General IRS and accounting principles affecting charitable giving
- Experience working with Boards of Directors and not-for-profit organizational leaders
- Proficiency with technology including but not limited to: fundraising (or CRM) software, Microsoft Office, email, and social media platforms
View Position Description
To apply for this position, please send a full resume, cover letter (including any salary expectations), references, and one writing sample to Jen Anstett by email at *protected email* or by regular mail to E13701 Levee Road, Baraboo, WI 53913. Applications due February 22, 2019, or until the position is filled.
The Aldo Leopold Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and recognizes that just as a healthy ecosystem depends on biodiversity, a healthy human society depends on cultural and social diversity. The Aldo Leopold Foundation is committed to expanding the conversation on land ethics by acting to achieve a rich diversity of staff, board, volunteers, members, supporters and those we seek to engage with our programming. Please include in your cover letter how you will join us in building a socially inclusive network of individuals, organizations, and communities to achieve our conservation goals and realize the vision of Aldo Leopold.